When you’re looking to renovate your home we suggest paying extra attention to the location and accessibility of your electrical outlets. As more and more of our lives become digital, we have an increasing number of appliances and gadgets being used–and requiring electricity. Extension cords, multi-outlet devices, surge protectors, and power bars can be great temporary solutions, we don’t suggest using them long term as they can eventually lead to overloaded circuits or electrical fires.
As you consider adding new outlets to your home, we suggest you hire a professional electrician for consultation and installation of any and all electrical outlets. While you’re thinking of what you’d like, we have a few suggestions of unique spots to place outlets and a few questions to ask yourself as you plan:
Outlet Placement Suggestions by Room
- Under the upper cabinets
- On the side of your Island
- In the counter (for appliances)
- Between the upper and lower cabinets on the wall
- In a drawer
- In the medicine cabinet
- On either end of the vanity (to avoid cords in the sink)
- Up high for air freshener plugins
- Where the TV is/will be
- In the baseboards
- Where the Christmas tree goes
- In the floor
- One in every corner
- On every wall
- In the floor
- Behind where a desk/dresser will be (at waist-height)
- On both sides of where the bed will go
- In the soffit (for Christmas lights)
- Front Porch
- Back Deck
- Each side of the house
Questions about Outlet Placement
- Where are the majority of my appliances/electronics?
- What do I use most frequently and where would I like to use it?
- Do I want additional functionality (lightswitch connections, dimmers, smart outlets, etc.)?
- What are the most commonly used electronics in this room?
- Do the electronics in this room need electricity while in use or just to charge?
- Do I want the outlets hidden from sight?
When you’re ready to get started with adding outlets to your home, whether it’s one room or all of them, the professional team at JDP Electric is ready to help. We will ensure your home is safe, secure, and efficient. Call us at 701-232-1991 or learn more about our residential electrical services on our website.