Electrical fires cause approximately 1130 injuries, 500 fatalities, and over $1.4 billion in property damage each year according to the ESFI—but fires aren’t the only hazard when it comes to electricity. Cords, outlets, and appliances all have significant safety risks for both adults and children. Read on for some tips on how to keep your kids safe around electricity.
Talk to your children about electrical safety.
Children are naturally curious and electrical safety hazards aren’t always obvious. That’s why it’s important to teach them how to be safe starting at a very young age. Help them develop an awareness of their surroundings by pointing out and discussing potential safety hazards. Encourage them to tell an adult if they spot something that looks unsafe.
Make sure you child-proof your home.
Electrical outlets are often “out of sight, out of mind” for most adults, but for crawling babies and toddlers, they’re right at eye level. Utensils, small toys, and even little fingers can easily poke inside, causing an electrical shock. Keep outlets protected with plastic covers or have a licensed electrician install childproof outlets.
Keep cords in good shape—and away from curious kids.
When was the last time you inspected your electrical cords? A frayed or damaged cord can be a shock hazard, especially if the wires are exposed near the plug. Remember to always grip a cord properly when unplugging a device to reduce the risk of damage—never pull a plug out by the cord!
Stay away from power lines and utility poles.
Never fly a kite or remote-controlled toys near power lines! Trampolines, tree houses, and climbing play structures should be kept far away from any power lines. Just remember: look up and live.
Know what to do if there is an emergency.
Accidents happen, that’s why it’s important to know what to do if there is an emergency. Call 911 and try to remove the source of the electrical current—but be careful not to get shocked yourself! Turn off the power source if possible, and use a non-conductive material to remove the electrical source. Try not to move the person, as the force of the shock could cause spinal injury.
JDP Electric Inc. has been a family-owned and operated company supporting the community of Fargo-Moorhead for over 20 years! Visit our website or give us a call for all your residential or commercial electrical needs.